Monday, May 16, 2011

Operation Cupboard Raid: Week One Review

It's practically a miracle! Guess how much money I spent on food last week Monday through Friday. ZERO DOLLARS! Maybe you don't realize how big of a deal this is, so let me explain.

I started adding up the cost of how often I pull out my check card throughout the week for various food-related purchases and I've seen the staggering list of transactions online for restaurants and the like. It was depressing how much money was being spent on something that doesn't even last. I had gotten into the mindset that it was more convenient to stop at Starbucks before work for a nonfat Chai and a croissant (costing $5.04) than it was to sit at the table with a bowl of cereal. And I always felt that I just didn't have time to make a lunch in the morning so I would get lunch at the cafeteria at work or go to Subway (costing between $5-7). One at a time these purchases wouldn't seem to break the bank, but once you look at how much per day, per week, per month you are spending on "convenient food," you might want to re-evaluate your choices. Let's do the math.

Typical weekday: Starbucks @ $5 + Subway @ $6 = $11

Five days a week = $55, 4 weeks a month $220, 12 months a year $2640...what?! Yeah.

That's not even including whatever is going on in the evening or on the weekend. That's just ROUTINE spending on food. Now I know that we do have to spend money on food. But I also know that I can buy food at the grocery store, make it at home, put it in little Tupperware containers and bring it to work all for a lot less than $11 a day. And I also don't need to purchase something edible every time I go to a movie or am in the mall or am out with friends or whatever. It's pretty ridiculous. Food has become entertainment in and of itself when its main purpose is nourishment and energy.

So, as you know if you read one of my previous posts, I decided to dig in my heels and break some bad habits by committing to eat only what it is my cupboards, without grocery shopping, for 3 weeks (until I go visit Stud in California) and after completing Week One I am pretty excited about the results.

It's been a great week! I've been able to stick to my committment and I am loving this project. If you recall, I did give myself an allowance of $10/week for perishable foods like milk and produce or for eating out when it's absolutely necessary. I didn't use any of the money for extra groceries but I was out of the house for about 7 hours with a friend on Saturday so it was necessary to eat out (as ambitious as I am about this project, I was half-tempted to make a lunch but I didn't want my friend to be in an awkward spot or have to eat whatever I could make for us for lunch). I did spend a little more than $10 but it was just on one meal and I made a health choice. In fact, I have to tell you about this restaurant because it is sooooooo good.

It's called Lakes Tavern and Grill in Woodbury.
Check out their website.


I went there several months ago with some of my college buddies and it was delicious so when my girlfriend and I were in Woodbury I was eager to try it again.

I order the Ponzu Glazed Salmon Salad and it was DELICIOUS.


Seriously. I almost never try "weird salads," you know, the ones that have fruit and "wonton crisps" and stuff like that, but this salad wasn't weird at all...just totally awesome. The mango almost scared me off because I think mangos taste like carrots and therefore I don't get too excited about them. No one seems to agree with me on this point but when we were first dating, Stud got a mango and cut it up for me and all I could think about was how it tasted like a carrot. Bummer! However, the mango in this salad tasted like candy. I even asked if they marinate it in something and the sweet server actually went and asked for me...turns out it was just mango in mango syrup (A.K.A sugar). Yum!

So, anyway, I'm not even bummed that the meal was a little over the $10 because it was delicious and I've been so good all week. Right? Say "right."

Ok, back to the Week One Review. I didn't starve! In fact, the more I explore the cupboards, the more I'm kind of afraid I will still have stuff leftover after the three weeks is up.

I've been keeping a food diary just to prove that I am eating and that I'm eating all kinds of good stuff. By the way, keeping a food diary is a great way to be more conscious of what you eat and can really help keep you motivated if you are trying to either cut back or eat healthier foods.

Here's a look at the past seven days:

Or maybe you'd like a more visual representation:



Now that doesn't look like I'm suffering too much, does it? 

And here are some highlights from the week:

1. I discovered I actually do have time in the morning to make a lunch for the day.
2. I even had "movie night" food for my dad and me on Saturday (chips and salsa and sundaes don't really make a good dinner though).
3. I was able to make a brand new kind of oatmeal cookie that I will definitely make again -- see this post for the recipe.
4. Dinner on Sunday was provided for me by a very nice lady from church that I hope to spend a lot more time with and it was delicious!
5. I stuck to my guns out bowling with friends and didn't spend any money on food because I had dinner at home first.
6. I learned how to make homemade iced tea with any kind of tea bag and having fun things to drink on hand makes it easier to pass up the smoothie shops and coffee houses.
7. Being more conscious of what I eat has no doubt contributed to some weight loss this week!

So far this operation is a success! I'm looking forward to the next two weeks.

Post a Comment

0 comments: