Monday, June 20, 2011

Operation Good News


"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you have learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy scriptures which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

2 Timothy 3:14-17

As a Christian, it's not just a nice idea to read the Bible. It's of utmost importance...and it's not optional. Matthew 4:4 reveals what we can already intuit, that physical nourishment isn't enough to satisfy a child of God: "Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." In John 4:13,14 Jesus himself told the woman at the well, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." We must be convinced that we are not just flesh and bones whose only needs are physical. We need and crave spiritual food just as C. S. Lewis wrote, "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."

Moreover, it's our responsibility to know the truth that is found in God's word (2 Timothy 2:15 compels us to be someone who is "rightly dividing the word of truth") and we are indeed commanded  in Joshua 1:8 to "meditate on it day and night." With verses as plain as that, there's no getting around the fact that Christians need to be in the Word. 

Lack of direction can be one of my biggest obstacles to staying in the Word. I can't tell you how many times I have sat down to read my Bible and couldn't think of where to start. Should I start a new book? Read some psalms or proverbs? Do a topical study? I've even opened my Bible to a random page and started reading from there. Part of the incredible beauty of the Bible is that you can be fed even through such haphazard methods. What you have read 20 times can reveal new truth the 21st time and what you randomly read one night can be more perfect than anything you could have methodically been searching for. Hebrews 4:12 explains why every bit of the Bible is so powerful: "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."


Unfortunately there are a variety of things that keep me from reading the Bible as much as I know I want and need to. And what's a great way to turn this situation around? Make it a mission! If this is your first look at one of my missions, you can check out my whole philosophy behind missions here. For those of you already up to speed, you know what's next: OSMEAC.

O Here's where I am: I've got more Bibles around the house than days of the week but they are read far too sparingly. 


S Here's what's happening: I'm not getting the spiritual food I need. Just like a relationship with another person, your relationship with God needs to be cultivated. I wouldn't expect to grow closer to my husband if I never talked to him, would I? And how foolish would I be if I never read the emails and letters and texts that he sent me? All relationships require time and effort. As a Christian, I have so much to gain from reading the Bible and yet it often seems like a struggle to make it daily habit. 


M Here's what I'm going to do: My mission is to read the entire New Testament, the Good News of what Jesus has done for us, by the end of the summer (that is September 1st). There are 27 books in the New Testament...."each one a special part. So I learned this song and it didn't take long till I knew them all by heart!" Sorry. Those songs you learn as a little kid really stick with you! So, like I was saying, 27 books make up the New Testament and, in my Bible, that's almost exactly 500 pages. 


E Here's how I'm going to do it: There are approximately 10 weeks left of summer so that breaks down to about 50 pages a week, which is less than 10 pages a day...how attainable is that?! Honestly, this mission almost seems too easy. But I'm gonna stick with this time line so that I really get the most out of this mission and don't just rush through these truth-packed pages. I typically like to read my Bible before bed but I'm going to be flexible about when and where I read. 


A Here's what will help: As usual, being intentional is key to most of life's pursuits. Reading my Bible is something I think about every day, but it's not something I'm intentional about every day. This mission will not only help me organize a plan and provide direction, it will remind me that I have to consciously pursue the things that are important to me. It will help motivate me to read because I'll know exactly what I'm going to be reading when I open my Bible instead of picking a passage on the fly. 

I'm also excited to make this my first mission with a call to action! Something that I think would be an awesome support for this goal is to partner with other readers. If you are interested in joining me on this mission, please let me know! I would love to share what we learn and the new things that stand out to us as we go. I'm looking for at least five partners with this mission (and would be extremely excited to double that), to read the entire New Testament by September 1st and to share what is revealed to you in the process. I encourage you to leave a comment stating your intent to join in on this journey that will surely be rewarding. Who knows who will be encouraged and motivated by your commitment (you know it will at least be me)! 


Finally and foremost, the thing that I believe will help the most is simply getting started. Hunger for God's truth and promises is both satiated and augmented by the reading of scripture. There's no doubt in my mind that I'm really going to enjoy and be challenged by this mission!


C Here's the accountability: As always, this blog offers much of the accountability that I am relying on to accomplish this mission. I will be posting updates, though probably not weekly as I have done with other missions simply because this is a longer term mission. I will also be communicating my goal to some of my mentors in the faith to make sure that I am progressing at a nice, even pace instead of trying to read 450 pages the last two weeks of August. 



2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Awesome! This is seriously great! ;-) love ya! p.s I am likin the way the font is more spaced out? Did you do that on purpose or accident?

    ReplyDelete
  2. im going to do this too. your blogs inspire me. :) happy reading!

    ReplyDelete