Friday, June 24, 2011

Operation Gym Coup: Week Three Review

Wow! It's already the end of week three! Do you know what that means? It means Stud comes home in ONE WEEK! I can't wait. Until then, I still have some major work to do.

This mission has been going well but I haven't always been super enthusiastic about getting myself to the gym. In fact last Thursday I was practically in tears on the phone with my hubby. It was probably like 9:30 pm and I still hadn't gone to the gym and I hadn't gone the last two nights either. I couldn't afford that kind of slacking if I were still going to meet my goal. On top of that, I was going out of town that weekend and for sure wouldn't get to the gym Saturday and if I were going to go Friday, it needed to be in the morning before work. So there I was, on the couch, not wanting to leave the house knowing that not only would it be a late night, but also an early morning if I were going to get to the gym before work.

But Stud definitely encouraged me. He reminded me that a goal is a priority. Since when can you achieve your goals without having to sacrifice anything? Wasn't I going up north to relax all weekend? Couldn't I just push through the next twelve hours? How important is my goal anyway?

Needless to say, I got up, put on my gym clothes and made it to the gym by 10 something AND was right back there at 6:20 am the next morning. It sure felt good to follow through and I'm pretty appreciative of my hubby's motivational speeches.

Lately I've been thinking about what I like too much that prevents me from making my goals the priorities they should be. Here's a list of things that I've come up with so far:
1. Sleeeeeeeeeeep!
2. Relaxation/down time
3. Talking to Stud on the phone (that one seems fair!)
4. Crafting
5. Movies

All of these things often seem way more enticing than hitting the gym. However, I've been trying really hard to not see the gym as a drag, but as a commitment to the lifestyle that I want to have. It's like that song from the Sound of Music: "Nothing comes from nothing. Nothing ever could." I can't expect to get fit without putting the work in. By the way, I think there's something to learn from that song, Big Bang theorists...helllooooo!


I was also really encouraged this week by getting a chance to meet and talk to one of the new owners of the Eden Prairie Anytime Fitness. She and her husband just bought it a couple of weeks ago and they happened to be there later at night one night this week. I was happy to see someone in the office because I had noticed that on AnytimeHealth.com, where I can track how many visits to the gym I have made, it only logs one visit per day. When I realized this I was pretty bummed because I needed to swipe my card twice a couple of days to get credit for doing the MS 150 (especially since I was gone those days and couldn't get to the gym if I wanted to) and I was also banking on getting some more double days in on the weekends to make up for some of my slacker days during the week. By the time I realized it was only counting once a day, I was already to the point where I thought I wouldn't be able to catch up even if I went every day until the end of the month. However, I talked to Amanda, the new owner, at the gym and she was able to look me up on their computer and confirm that all of my visits are indeed being counted, just not on my personal page at AnytimeHealth.com. 

Not only that but she looked at some other numbers and told me that I was currently in second place!

Yep. There was only one person who had logged more visits that I had (three more, to be exact). Wow! That was such a boost! This victory is mine for the taking! And it IS that dramatic. Ha. 

So with the pep talk from my husband, the knowledge that all of my visits are being logged and the little tidbit that I'm scarcely behind the top biggest user,  I had no problem getting to the gym almost every night this week. 

This last week is the final push and I plan to go twice both days this weekend since I have most of the weekend free. I'm even getting better at doing some weight-lifting and not just cardio while I'm at the gym. It is really important to add weight training to your routine. A lot of the time I feel like lifting weights is just robbing from my cardio time but the more muscle you have, the more calories your burn at rest so it's really not a bad trade-off. Plus, feeling sore the next couple of days really makes me feel like I did something and it's tangible evidence of your muscles (and your body) transforming little by little. 


This is what I got to see on my way to the gym one night last week: 







Couldn't ask for a better backdrop!


Here's to finishing out this last week strong!



Post a Comment

0 comments: