Sunday, June 19, 2011

"R" is for Rank and Insignia

*This post is the first of a new series entitled "ABCs of a Corps Life" about everything military-related. 
Check out this page for more info and for an continually updated list of topics.*

I'll never forget one of the first times that I saw a "silver lining" to Stud's military involvement. Remember that it had only been a few months since we rekindled our romantic relationship when he came home from his very first round of training and found out that he would be deploying right away. I had a lot of mixed feelings about the Marine Corps and its power to take this man away from me at the drop of a hat. Well, the adjustments just kept rolling in over the next few months, but one day we were talking on the phone during either his training or the deployment and he said, "Oh, by the way, the Marine Corps Ball is in November." What? Ball? Marine Corps Ball? Ok, now all of this military stuff is starting to pay off!

So what? I'm a woman, aren't I? If being told that I get to attend a ball puts me in a better mood while my love is gone I'll take it! And so began the hunt for the perfect dress...not that it mattered because I bought one only a couple of weeks before the ball even after having MONTHS to look for one. However the dress wasn't the only think on my mind about this weekend (the Marine Corps Ball is actually a weekend event). After hearing Stud rattle off people's names preceded by their rank for the last several months, I wanted to make sure that I, too, would know what's going on and when I was talking to someone "important." I figured that spending a little time to become familiar with the USMC rank and insignia would be a great way to show my support and pride; and, hey, if this was gonna be part of my life for the next 6-8 years, I needed to stay on top of it as much as I could!

It's funny how little ranks meant to me as a civilian in a purely civilian world. Lieutenant? Private? What's the difference? In movies it was only body language and the way people reacted to each other that told me who had authority over whom. If you get a Lieutenant and a Private mixed up in the military, though, you're in deep...well, you know what.

Rank is a BIG deal. I'm still wrapping my head around just how important the rank structure is and sometimes it still boggles my mind how tightly the men and women are held to their ranking system. Don't get me wrong, I understand that it is, indeed, very important for this structure to exist and function properly. I mean, of all people, I get structure. Like anything, though, it's not without its drawbacks. For example, you get an arrogant Staff Sergeant who decides he doesn't like a particular PFC and things are not going to go well for that PFC. Right or wrong, getting dumped on by a higher-ranking Marine is most likely just part of the upbringing for most Devil Dogs. Whether it's some form or initiation, a punishment gone overboard, or just a reality of imperfect humans performing imperfectly, poorly-yielded authority is probably no more common in the military than it is in families or corporations; even if you have a generally good system, some people are going to abuse it or get abused by it. When you're in the military, though, you can't just quit your job if you boss is a jerk or move out if your parents are too strict. Compliance and obedience are part of the deal and they have to be if the military is to run successfully for obvious reasons. Having positive or negative experiences with your chain of command can really make or break your attitude especially since, in the military, you can't just leave work for the day or go out for a drive; you're "on" all the of the time and you don't control your day-to-day, hour-to-hour life.

Before you get the idea that all the "highers" just throw their weight around and that it sucks for everyone, let me highlight some of the really beneficial aspects of the rank structure.
1. It creates an organization in which everyone knows where they stand.
2. It provides motivation to improve and move up.
3. It fosters camaraderie among peers and, hopefully, trust in those in authority.
4. It ensures accountability.
5. It demands quality.
6. It's traditional (for a lot of people, this is enough of a reason by itself).
7. It allows people to focus on their particular job, and for all functions to come together methodically.

It may be hard to get used to, but this structure seems to be the backbone of the USMC. It facilitates all other functions from training to supply chain, transportation to support services, and, let's not forget, kicking butt!

Oorah!!

Seriously, how handsome is this Lance Corporal? 

Clockwise starting at the top left:

1. Training in boot camp
2.Gunner for convoy security (Iraq)
3. Goofing round in Iraq
4. Graduating from boot camp


Ok, so just in case you want to familiarize yourself with the Marine Corps rank and insignia, it is as follows:


Enlisted ranks
See the insignia for Master Gunnery Sergeant (third from the right)? I call it a pineapple but apparently it's a bursting bomb. I didn't know this until Stud was quizzing me and I said "Master Gunnery Sergeant: 3 chevrons (the bars on top), 4 rockers (the bars on the bottom) and the pineapple." He wasn't sure what I was talking about at first. I wonder why it was so easy for him to perceive a bomb and for me to perceive a pineapple. Yeah, such a mystery.

 Photo credits here, here and here.

Here are the officer ranks. In the Marine Corps, if you went the enlisted route, you become a non-commissioned officer (NCO) once you hit corporal and through sergeant. At staff sergeant and above, you're known as a staff non-commissioned officer (SNCO).  However, to start out at Officer Candidate School (OCS) to become a commissioned officer, you have to already have achieved a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.

Officer ranks











Charts from www.marines.com.

Each branch of the military has its own ranking structure although they share similarities. Marine Corps insignia is displayed on the arm of the uniform or on the collar. If you want to learn more check out the USMC website.

Knowing the ranks goes a long way in understanding what a service member is talking about. It can automatically give you perspective when hearing about various situations. If Stud tells me that he heard a rumor that they were coming home early (this happened last deployment) and the info is coming from a lance corporal or even a corporal or sergeant, I might not get too excited. If, however, the news came down from a captain or a gunny (Gunnery Sergeant) or someone like that, I might get my hopes up. As a side note, rumors almost never pan out no matter where they originate. When Stud tells me about so-and-so, I almost always ask what his or her rank is just to get an idea of where they fall into the structure. There's a lot at play in the conversations and practices of those serving. And to make things even more complex, there's also a rule against fraternization. So the men and women are really only supposed to hang out with people of their same rank, which can also skew the information that each person receives. This rule has exceptions but, from my view on the sidelines, they seem to keep it up pretty well. 

Of course, all of that being said, there are tons of nuances to keep track of. Here's my simple understanding: technically, if someone outranks you, they can tell you what to do, but sometimes you get told what to do by multiple people and it's not always consistent. Or sometimes someone outranks you but isn't directly in your chain of command. In those cases, it's not so cut and dry. One of the most common questions I ask after Stud tells me about a situation is, "Yeah, but do you have to listen to him?" Haha. I guess that shows my rebellious side. There's just too much authority to keep track of! But the guys (and gals) do a fabulous job for the most part and they get it done! Seriously, how many of us could hold up under so many levels of authority? You really have to admire their patience, flexibility and loyalty. 


Bravo to all you men and women out there who maneuver the waters of rank structure with pride AND humility. Your willingness to walk that line allows the military machine to power along and keep us safe! 

So that's my brief explanation of my limited understanding of the Rank and Insignia of the Marine Corps and how important it really is. 




















Cartoon credit and unedited version here. The Marines are part of the Navy and sometimes it's not a stretch at all to apply the term "Swear like a sailor" to some of these...

1 comment:

  1. That cartoon is great! That's exactly how it is. It's confusing at first. Apparently it's confusing for officers as well. I'll never forget one day I (Private) was walking to medical, A navy 2nd LT dropped his cigarette and saluted me! haha I just returned the salute and kept on walkin...

    ReplyDelete